News and Announcements
Two quick announcements for new and returning referees…
1. Information for new refs….
As we approach registration for Lacrosse Officiating clinics we, the BC Lacrosse Officials Group, wish to clear up something that comes up every year in regards to age requirements.
Due to insurance requirements “a person must be age 13 prior to being accepted into a officials course”. This has been clarified by both the vice chair of Minor for Officials and the Chair of Officiating for BC.
If you require any further information please feel free yo email Sean Lehman (firstname.lastname@example.org) who can get you a letter from the CLA Officiating committee.
2. Clinic dates:
Feb 23rd, Rooms 317 and 313.
Entry and Level #1.
Feb 24th, Room 313.
March 2nd, Room 313.
March 3rd, Rooms 313 and 317.
Entry and Level #1
March 23rd, Rooms 313 and 317.
Entry and Level #1
All clinics are in building 356 at VIU.
If you are interested in reffing this season, have questions or would like more information please email our referee allocator, Erica, at email@example.com
Erica will enroll you in the clinic so please email her!
Please lemail Erica directly with questions!
Good afternoon Novice aged athletes,
Nanaimo Minor Lacrosse has a very important announcement regarding Novice lacrosse on Vancouver Island. Effective immediately, the Novice division will no longer be tiering teams in this division. That means that there no longer be any Novice “A” team(s). All players in this co-ed division will still go through the evaluation process and they will be placed on teams that will be balanced.
The Island Commission also made a decision to remove “body checking” from this age group and they will now use Place and Push. This decision was made at the Vancouver Island Lacrosse Commission meeting last week.
If you any questions or concerns please contact
Andy “Gump” Reynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Lonny Sullivan at email@example.com
Good afternoon Tyke aged athletes,
Nanaimo Minor Lacrosse has a very important announcement regarding tyke lacrosse on Vancouver Island. Effective immediately, Tyke lacrosse will now be played cross-floor, 3 vs 3. This decision was made at the Vancouver Island Lacrosse Commission meeting. We realize that this is a change in a mind set or how this age group has “traditionally” played lacrosse. We hope you understand that this decision is to grow the game and fits into the long-term athlete development model.
We have provided the statistics that will help you better understand the rationale of making this change. Please keep an open mind. Hockey Canada has moved to this model for this age group and they have found many positive benefits.
• 6 times – more shots on goal/player
• 5 times more passes received/player
• 2 times more ball battles/player
• 2 times more ball touches/player
• 2 times more pass attempts/player
• 2 times more change of direction
• 1.75 times shots/minute vs 0.45 playing full floor
Playing on a smaller rink results in increased ball touches/possession time for each player:
• Individual technical skills develop more quickly.
• Line changes are made quickly since the players are directly beside the playing surface.
• Each player’s activity increases greatly.
• Scoring skills are enhanced since the players have more shooting opportunities.
• The goalkeeper’s reading of the game and reaction to changing game situations become more effective.
• More repetition for goalkeepers.
• The game is full of continuously changing situations.
• The speed in playing situations increase, which will require quicker mental and physical reactions by the players.
• Due to increased tempo, all of the team members take part in solving the playing situations, which leads to a sharing of responsibilities between players.
• The feeling of being an important part of the action increases because of the small size of the playing surface.
• Lacrosse sense, or understanding the principles of the game, is being developed at a young age.
Walk in registrations will be happening on Saturday, January 12th and Sunday January 20th.
Both will be from 10:00 – 12:00 at the Beban Social Center.
Please feel free to come in and register your young athletes!
Drop in sessions are beginning for registered players!
Saturday January 12th and Saturday January 19th (so far) for registered PEEWEE, NOVICE and TYKE age players!
7:00 @ The Outdoor Covered Box
Suggested Drop In $5.00
You MUST be registered with NDLA to attend as that is how your player is insured!
A full schedule for all age groups will be posted asap!